Wednesday, April 1, 2009

"well, at least we got to see more of Adelaide."

Tuesday, March 31
Where did the March go?! I can't believe it is almost April!!!

Today I was expecting to go to the last week of the self defense domestic violence group, but when I got to Magill I found out it was last week. It was a bummer because there was a miscommunication about the length of the the course, and last week I was sick and couldn't go the the session. Instead I finished up the paper I was working on and sent it to my professor, got caught up on blogging, and worked on a few other school things.


Tonight we had plans to go to a movie with Andrea, a woman who works with foster care in Lutheran Community Care. We were planning on meeting her at the Marion Shopping Centre where the theatre is, and she was going to give us a lift home after the movie. We looked up the bus times and Hilary and I caught a bus home, were there for about 20 minutes, then caught a bus back into the city where we met up with Ellie.

We hopped on the bus that the Adelaide Metro website told us to take, and when we got off at the stop that the website indicated we knew we weren't in the right place. We asked some people where the shopping centre was and their first response was "you have a car right?" haha. They told us we had to follow the street for about 5K then turn left and walk along that street until we run into the centre.

Hilary rang Andrea multiple times to try to have her pick us up, but there was no answer (it is illegal to talk on your phone while you are driving). After a bit more walking Andrea called and said she just arrived at the theatre. We told her where we were and she said she was going to come by and pick us up. By the time she found us it took about 15 minutes via car to get to the theatre... the man must have given us the wrong directions.

When we finally got to the theatre it was 9:50 and all the movies started by 9:30, so Andrea took us home. It was a really unfortunate evening, but we're thinking about going next week. Hmm... maybe we'll go on a different bus. :)



One light-hearted saying from the night was, "well, at least we got to see more of Adelaide."

Wednesday, April 1
Today I had play group at Glynde church. It was a really busy week, there are heaps of kids. One of the favorite things to do is play with the play dough that we made a few weeks ago. It has been so good to spend my time at the play group, all the kids seem to be growing like crazy!

Lorinda dropped me off at Magill road where the buses come often because I had an appointment at Red Cross in the city at noon. I made it there just in the nick of time. I've never given blood before, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I decided to give blood because during the Victoria bush fires a lady came to Glynde and expressed how much they need blood donations. Right after a natural disaster, like the fires, heaps of people rush to the red cross and give blood as their way of helping, but blood only has so much shelf life and I think she said 12 weeks after a natural disaster they begin to run out of blood because everyone rushed in at once. Anyways, there seems that there are a ton of natural disasters happening in Australia right now, so why not help out. I think it's funny that the first time I give blood is in another country.

After giving blood I met Hilary and Ellie and we went to Haigh's Chocolate Factory. Haigh's is a really fancy chocolate company that has been around for 94 years, most Australian's I've spoken to said that it's their favorite. We booked a tour of the factory, so we got to see how the chocolate is made behind the scenes- there is only one chocolate factory, and they don't export it. We got a couple samples, and bought some yummy things to try.

Hil and El went to the grocery store so I walked home with the chocolate. After resting a bit I decided to go to the young adult group with the people from Glynde. So I caught a bus to Helene's house and shortly after I got there Jeremy and I left. It was a good night, I really enjoy the people there. They are all so friendly! We had hot cross buns before we left, then Jeremy took me home.

It has been a nice day.

1 comment:

  1. How funny you first gave blood on the other side of the world! That reminds me when I get better (bad cold, no biggy) to give blood - it's time! I particularly enjoyed the chocolate factory story - mmmmm. Too bad they don't ship! Great to hear your stories, God bless :)

    ReplyDelete