Monday, March 30, 2009

relaxing weekend...

Friday, March 27
Today I went to Ingle Farm where I had a house visit in the morning. It was a really good visit, next week we are making lasagna- I've never done that before so it will be interesting. After my visit I returned to the office where I did a bit of work then went into the city with Lynette, another student intern from Canada. We did a few agency visits so we knew of some resources for clients we meet with. After seeing a couple agencies we went to the central market where we got some fruit and veg, then caught coffee before heading our separate ways. It was a beautiful day so I decided to walk back to where we're staying.

Hilary and Ellie went to Mt. Gambier this weekend with Jess who is from Glynde church. I had a hard time deciding whether or not to go. I really wanted to go on a road trip and see other parts of Australia, but because I was sick earlier this week I was exhausted and didn't know if that was the best decision.... so I decided to stay home.

When I got back it was around 8:30 so I had some tea and watched a little television. It was really good to be able to sit back and relax and have some time to myself.


Saturday, March 28
I slept in... sort of today. Since I've been here I have yet to sleep through the night, it's very annoying. When I got out of bed I cleaned the house a bit and went on a nice walk. Later that afternoon Beibei came by and picked me up and we went to an Asian grocery store because we wanted to have hot pot for tea. Hot pot is where you use a special pot (Rice cooker if you don't have a hot pot) to heat up water and hot pot sauce that has a bit of oil and seasoning in it- we had chili flavored!

After heating up the water you put fish, meat, veggies, tofu, etc. in the pot and when it starts to boil the things you put in the water should be ready to eat. You use chopsticks and dig around until you can pull something yummy out. You don't put it all in at once, so you spend a lot of time putting food in, letting it cook, getting it out, eating it, putting more in, etc. I have never eaten so much tofu in my life, it was really good! I had regular tofu (white block), dried tofu, and fried tofu.

We hung out for a while then cooked tea for her friend, Friday. We dropped it off at his work then came back to Beibei's house and I stayed the night. It was really nice to spend some time with her!

Sunday, March 29
Beibei and I woke up around 7:15ish so that we could make it to a market at Gepp's Cross Trevor Market. It is a really big thing on Sunday mornings... and it is very fresh and cheap! Cars are lined up from 7am-at least 9am to get into the market, we parked and walked there to save time. There are heaps of fruit and veg stands and other various stands that sell just about anything you can think of.

After the market we went back to Beibei's house to have breakfast and get ready for church. Beibei lives very close to Glynde church so she dropped my off on the way to the church she attends in the city.

At Glynde I met up with Helene and her family. After the service we returned to her house where we had lunch and then went to a kite festival at Semaphore Beach. Helene's mum was in town so she joined in on the fun! I have never been to a kite festival before. On one side of the jetty (pier) there were professional kite fliers who had very expensive and elaborate kites. On the other side of the jetty people who came to the festival could fly there kites and two professional kite fliers had kites that carried lollies with parachutes up in the air are when it reached the top it released all the lollies... the kids had a blast. They were also doing it with teddy bears, but those had to be returned.

After spending a bit of time at the beach we returned to Helene's house where we had tea and then she dropped me off where I'm staying. It was a very nice and relaxing day.


Monday, March 30
I was at Ingle Farm again this morning. I spent some time in the morning writing a paper that I haven't been able to write because of lack of time and being sick last week. In the afternoon a mums with twins/craft group comes in and I help out with that. In the afternoon I worked some more on the paper. It was a pretty quite day at the Family Zone Hub.

Karen dropped me off at the Magill site and I waited around until Hilary arrived from the Blair Athol op shop. The two of us walked to Lorinda's house and sat outside until around 6:30. It was nice to have some down time and chat about each other's weekend.

Lorinda is in charge of organizing the playgroup that I help out at at Glynde Church on Wednesdays. She is a very sweet, kind, and gentle woman. When we got there Bethany (11ish mo) and Sophie(3) were finishing up dinner and shortly later Lorinda's husband, Tim, arrived home from work.

After the kids dinner we played and danced in the living room. haha. It was a lot of fun. Then a bit later Ellie arrived from spending the day at Calvary. Tim got out his guitar and we played/sang a bit. I played and sang the song "El Espiritu De Dios Esta Aqui." I was surprised I still remembered it. While everyone else continued to play/sing Lorinda put Bethany to bed then shortly later I put Sophie to bed. She was such a sweetie!

Around 8:30 when the kids were in bed it was a bit quieter so we could sit down and have tea. It was really good! Lorinda made a pasta dish that had eggplant and tomatoes in it. After quite a bit of conversation Lorinda was kind enough to drive us back to where we are staying. I had a wonderful time at their house.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really glad you're in my life...even if you're forever away right now. just fyi.

    ReplyDelete