Sunday, March 15, 2009

work, beach, SUSHI

Friday:
Today Helen drove me to the LCC Magill site where Karen picked me up to go to Ingle Farm. When I arrived at Ingle Farm I went on a house visit to a new family that I will be working more intensively with for the rest of my time here. This family has a 2ish month old baby that won't settle and the father works long hours, so the mum just needs some time to get caught up on things around the house. So, I watched the baby while the mum did her thing, then the two of us chatted for the rest of my time there. The mum is very nice and I'm looking forward to learning more about her in the future.

When I returned after the visit I did some stuff around the office and got to know the people and Ingle Farm a little better. I was supposed to have another visit this afternoon, but I called the mum and she and her baby were both throwing up, so we rescheduled our visit for next week. Karen was kind enough to drive me back to Magill at the end of the day where I got caught up on a few things there (I'm doing some office work for the people at Magill).

Helen drove me back to Highgate where Hilary returned from the op shop with heaps of kitchenware. We now have more than 3 plates, cups, forks, knives, spoons, etc. :) Hil and I went across the street to Concordia College (a private high school) where they were selling all sorts of food and the clubs were represented in effort to raise money. We caught tea (dinner) there and then walked to the supermarket to get a few things we were missing in the pantry. We were all quite tired so we hung out for a bit, and called it a night.

Saturday:
My body won't let me sleep in!!!
I woke up at 6, 7:30, then finally around 8:30 I rolled out of bed. I tried to get some extra rest because I could finally sleep in, but it failed to work :).
Ellie and I decided that we wanted to go to beach today and I requested Glenelg Beach because I've heard from many people it was the best beach to go to in the area. We caught a bus into the city and right when we got off the bus to get to the tram to Glenelg it started to pour. What are the odds that the day we decide to go to the beach it decides to rain?! We decided to brave the weather and go anyways (the rain doesn't usually last long here). When we got there we put our towels out and began to soap up the rays. However, I was freezing almost the entire time from the cloudy weather, wind, and occasional sprinkle or two. We left after a bit and decided to do some shopping in the area before heading back to the house to start tea. Hil, El, and I had tea and watched an Australian film named something like "All My Friends Are Leaving Melbourne."

Sunday:
Helene dropped off a microwave at our place this morning and took me the Glynde church where Beibei joined me for church. Beibei is a young adult from China who has lived in Australia for the past 7 years for her studies. I met her at FUEL last week and we hit it off very well. After church Beibei (pronounced bay bay) and I went shopping to make things for lunch and tea. After hitting up the grocery store and fruit and veg store before going to the fish shop where she used to work.

Today was a day of food and fellowship! :)
Beibei bought two thin slices of a fish I have never had before and did a fabulous job of preparing it! We also had some Chinese buns and some Middle Eastern rice she received as a gift from a friend. After cleaning up I cut veggies and Beibei cut the fish for our sushi extravaganza. We made sushi with salmon, shark, prawn tempura, and crab meat! It was all very good. Beibei also cooked something called "potato pancake." She steamed potatoes then pureed them with carrots, spring onions, and minced pork. Then Beibei put them on a frying pan. Potato pancakes are an Asian dish that I have never had them before. I would have never thought of making a dish like this, it sort of reminded me of hash browns. Throughout our entire day of cooking we drank green tea and had really good conversation. Beibei is the type of person who can make anybody laugh, I really enjoy getting to know her. She wants to take me all over Adelaide and the surrounding area! We are already planning trips to Victor Harbor, Borossa, Clealand (sp?), and possibly even Kangaroo Island! Next week she wants to teach me how to make Chinese dumplings, I'm excited for another adventure!

We then cleaned up after our long day and went to Para Vista where we attended the contemporary young adult service. The service was very good and I ran into 8 people who went to FUEL the week before, it was really nice to see them all again. Richard, who I met at FUEL, and his little sister gave me a ride back to Highgate because they live about 5 minutes from where I'm staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment