Friday, March 13, 2009

Work and my visit to McDonald's with Mary.

_________________
Some people have been asking for my new address.
So, here it is!

Morgan Pahls
35 Winchester
High Gate, SA 5063
________________

Wednesday:
Today I got up and rode the bus to the city with Ellie where she caught the train to Calvary and I caught another bus to Glynde Church. The bus I wanted to take was 15 minutes late, which was annoying because I can never really rely on this form of transportation.

When I got to playgroup I helped set everything up because the women who normally volunteer these tasks from the congregation had a women's meeting and were unable to help today. The group of kids was pretty small this week, but we had quite a bit of fun anyways.

After the playgroup Lorinda dropped me off at the Magill LCC site where I did a bit on the computer then worked with Helen on trying to get some of her pre-marriage courses advertised online. After a bit of frustration because the Internet wasn't properly working I worked on a flier that can be used in church bulletins to advertise these courses. Helen then had to get home because she had something going on that evening so she dropped me off that our house just up the street where she's working.

Tonight I decided not to go to the young adult group, I was quite exhausted from the day. Hopefully it will work out next week!


Thursday:
Today Helen was kind enough to give me a lift to the Magill LCC site where I was supposed to meet Karen who was taking me to the Ingle Farm LCC site (her son goes to school just up the road) instead of attempting to find my way through the crazy, messed up bus system.

We arrived to the Magill site and I waited for Karen outside the office for a while and decided to try calling her mobile in case she forgot to pick me up and I needed to catch the bus or if she misunderstood me on the phone yesterday when we made the plans for pick up at Magill and not Hosanna Heights where I used to stay. I got response so I went inside to figure out the bus route and a while later she was knocking on the door and explained that she had car trouble that morning. This was too bad because she was supposed to be at an important funding meeting at 9:00am in Ingle Farm and she ended up being a bit late.

I helped out with the Afghani women's support group where we did a cooking lesson today. We made scones!
______________
Here is the recipe:
3 c flour
1 c lemonade (lemonade is sprite here)
1 c heavy cream

You put the flour in a bowl, make a well in the middle and poor in the liquids. Then you mix it until it is doughy (not very damp- we needed to add more flour). The next step was to lay the dough out about an inch thick and use a cup to cut the scones into circles. Bake them on a baking sheet (with baking paper) for about 10 min at 220 Celsius. The scones should be brown and hard on both the top and bottom. Most people here eat scones with butter, jam, cream, or a combo of a few of them.
_____________
The scones were pretty good, I think they tasted the best after they cooled down completely. I have never heard of making scones with pop!

After the group I helped around the office and got caught up on emails. It seems to be a never ending process. I was supposed to meet with a family this afternoon but they rescheduled for tomorrow afternoon... I'm really looking forward to meeting with them!

Karen took me back to the Magill office where I stayed a while longer and wrote a few messages to some friends who I haven't been able to catch up with lately. I left the office around 6:45 and got into the city around 7:15, found some sushi and waited at the bus stop for the next bus to High Gate, where I'm staying now.

Right before the bus came a homeless women asked me if I wouldn't mind getting her a hamburger. I took her up on the request and we walked to McDonald's which was a few blocks away. I really enjoyed the conversation I had with this women (named Mary). She was very real and I could sense that she wanted to share her story. So I asked her about who she is, where she's staying, what she's been up to these days. I really enjoyed chatting with her and I hope she has better luck in the future. Some people may be sceptical to things that this population may choose to share with others, but I don't really care if everything she said was true. I just know that she was a women in need of a meal and wanted to share a bit of her life with me, and for that I am grateful.

It was about 9:15 by the time I got home and Jess (from Glynde Church and FUEL) was at our place watching tv with Hil and El. I hung around a bit while attempting to write the paper that I have to have done for my religion across cultures course I'm taking at Wartburg, but I was quite tired and decided that I probably wasn't making any sense. Hopefully I can have the paper sent in tomorrow!

1 comment: