Thursday, February 26, 2009

Home visits and BOLLYWOOD. :)

Wednesday:
Today I got up and walked/ran to play group at Glynde church. This morning activity is a nice break in the middle of my week, I also enjoy chatting with the mothers, they are all so very nice. Lorinda, one of the mums dropped me off at the Magill site after playgroup. She has two daughters, Sophie (3) and Bethany (10mo) who were very excited that I got to ride with them in the car. :)

When I arrived at Magill I had lunch and set a room up for a training session called "Safe Place" in the afternoon. I then attended the session and it was about sexual harassment and sexual abuse in the work place. It was a good experience, however, I feel like I've learned it all in the past or it was common sense. The instructor, Wyane, had his birthday today and after the session the Magill workers, the interns, and a few other LCC staff had cake.

Hilary and Ellie then got a ride back to Hosanna Heights, while I stayed to blog and check my email. I then walked back to Hosanna and got ready really quickly before we got picked up by Helene and Jeremy for the Ash Wednesday service at Glynde. After the service Hil and El headed back to Helene's house where they hung out and played table tennis with Helene and Simon while Jeremy and I went to have coffee with the small group we met with last Wednesday.

At coffee I got to know Beck (Jeremy and Simon's cousin) a little better. She is a really, really interesting individual. Beck has dreadlocks, is a swimming teacher, and lives a lot by the "Simple Way" movement talked about in Shane Clayborn's book titled "The Irresistible Revolution." Beck is always thinking and asking very interesting/random questions. Throughout our conversation she asked me "If I had a magic carpet where would I go and with who," "What 3 things do I miss about home, and why," and many other interesting questions. After I answered her question about the magic carpet I asked her where she would go and she said that when she asks people that question they always think of a physical place, and she would to go "wonder, the state of wonder." hmm... I like the way she thinks. I am giving her the book "Jesus For President" by Shane Clayborn next week at small group.

After coffee Jeremy and I returned to his house where I proceeded to play Helene in table tennis, she is very good! aka, I ducked every time she went to attack the ball. haha.


Thursday:
Today Karen picked me up at Hosannah Heights and we went to Ingle Farm where I sat in on the Afghani women's support group again. It was a little more difficult this week because the speaker spoke Persian and there was no translator. So, the English speaking people had no idea what was being said unless one of the women briefly summarized what was said. Even though I don't know what was being said I think the women gained a lot from the group based on how much more they participated.

After the Afghani group I went on a walk until I met up with Kathlene who is in charge of the home visit services. In Australia when a woman has a baby they immediately ask her what type of support she has for raising the child. Then, every mother is put on a list and within the first few months of the babies life someone comes to her house to assess whether the mother needs assistance. If there seems to be a pressing need for support the mums are pushed to the front of the list. Anyways, if the mother wishes to receive assistance, someone comes into her home once a week for 3 hours to either take the baby while the mother sleeps, does house work, or just takes a break, or the mother could ask the helper to have coffee with her to socialize.

The mum we went to see is struggling and we interviewed her to see what types of assistance she could receive. Ingle Farm has a lot of free mummy and me groups, and other programs that she can get connected to. While we were speaking with the mother I held her child, who is sooo incredibly beautiful.

After the interview Kathlene and I caught coffee where we discussed our thought and concerns about the situation. We also chatted a bit and got to know each other more. I really like her a lot, and am looking forward to be working more with her next week! I am going to try to rearrange my schedule to be working more at Ingle Farm, and next week I can do home visits by myself and/or be the person who comes into the home for 3 hours to assist the mums. I really like these things! :)

After being dropped off at Hosanna Heights I got changed and walked to Magill where I met up with Emily (a counselor) and Ellie and we went to Bollywood dance lessons. It was hilarious! I can to the hand work alone, the foot work alone, but not the two together. It was good fun.

It was Felly's birthday today and I met up with her and some of her friends for a few minutes to celebrate before coming back to Hosanna and calling it a night.

P.S. We are moving to a new place!!! So, on Tuesday of next week it will be goodbye Hosanna! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment