Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tuesday (10th)... a long day.

Today I went by the post office and the store on my way to our Magill site. I've been in search for some regular iced tea... the only kind I've seen here are mango, Orange, lemon-lime, etc. They have a shop in the city that sells American foods like Hershey brand, pop tarts, and dr.pepper (Hilary's weakness :) ), perhaps I'll stop by there to see if there is any tea.

Today from 9-5 we had "Child Safe" training, now we are mandatory reporters of child abuse in Australia. Most of the things we learned were things I've already heard about, but now they are more clarified, and I know how to make a report if necessary- but I sure hope it doesn't happen. The day was very long not only in time, but it was hard to talk about and watch videos about such a tough topic for so many hours.

After training we went to the international cricket game... I personally don't find the game of cricket all that interesting (closest thing I can think of is Baseball in America), but we sat on "the hill," which provided much entertainment. The hill is right below the beer garden, so many people had a few too many drinks... the game goes from about 2:30-9:30- LONG, and people have a lot of team spirit. It was held at the Adelaide Oval in the city, and it was Australia vs New Zealand- Australia won. The people watching the game are very similar to the people in the states... some drink a little too much, the throw things in the air like beach balls (they also have a tradition to dissemble a suffed animal tsheep and throwing it in the air because New Zealand is known for having more sheep than human beings), and they even have the wave (called the Mexican Wave here). We only went for half of the game, which was plenty of time, ant it was a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment