Saturday, February 7, 2009

So, I got my dates messed up... my previous post that was about Wednesday was actually Thursday. My internet isn't working where I'm staying, so I haven't been able to blog as frequentally as I'd like. Also, if you've been trying communicate with me and I haven't responded it is because I can't check my email often. I'm learning more and more that people here run on an entirely different schedule (pronounced shedule here) than I'm used to. My internet worked for the first two days and then stopped working, since then I have yet to receive internet in my room.

Also, my air conditioner worked for the first four days before it stopped working. I told the director of Hosanna Heights that it wasn't working and he gave me a key to a spare room to sleep in (a very nice offer). It took about five days to get fixed because there were so many places in the city that needed air conditioners fixed as well... and schools and hospitals were first priority. After a while my unit was fixed and I gave the key back to the spare room. Well, the next day it stopped working and now it sometimes makes a high pitched noise if it is running, and it isn't all that cool- it makes it very difficult to sleep. I told the director about this, but there isn't much he can do. Sorry, just had to vent.

Friday
We met with Andrea Newton from LCC about foster care. It is to my understanding that the government stopped funding foster care programs, which really damaged the programs. Andrea is starting over by proposing a new foster care plan to the government. We met with her for a while discussing how foster care is done in Australia and the US. It was very interesting to hear about some of the ways these two countries work with children. Andrea is trying to figure out a way to focuson/support the caregivers. So, if you have any ideas or insight please pass them on. :)

We did some office work, blogged, and hung out until Yvonne arrived. Yvonne is the head of all of Lutheran Community Care (LCC). I really enjoyed meeting her! We chatted about our time here so far, things we want to do, and just got to know eachother more. She is very friendly and is taking us to some sort of Wednesday night worship this week, some other place she suggested to visit before we left, and the wineries. I am looking forward to learning more about who she is.

Yvonne dropped us off at Hosanna Heights and we had a little down time before dinner. We had quite the experience at dinner, at first we were excited because the director of Hosanna Heights said there was a "Special dinner" for us. However, it wasn't too exciting... we started to ask for meals without meat because Ellie doesn't eat much meat, most of the meet is cooked with curry (Hilary is allergic), and I have a difficult time eating meat off bones- and most of it is not de-boned. So, they told us they would have meals set apart for us in the kitchen that don't have meat in them... well Friday night we went back there and asked for our meals and they took something out of the oven and quickly walked it to our table. We took a closer look at it was leftover quiche from a conference going on at Hosanna Heights. We found two problems, there were only two pieces for three people and there was canadian bacon in the bottom of it. They also brought out a leftover salad that the made for us on Wednesday. It consisted of tomatoes, cucumber, and somewhat cooked potatoes drenched in mayo with a couple hard-boiled egges on top. Let's just say we ate rice... I'm not too sick of rice as of right now, but I'm sure it is soon to come.


Saturday
Today we were planning on waking up early and going on a walk in the conservation park nearby, but some of us were too tired for that. After lunch we caught the bus into the city. There we went to cheapest chips (similar to a dollar store... but not quite as good of bargains). Then we walked to the central market. This market is the largest market in the southern hemisphere... and it is BIG! It is open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. On Saturdays it closes at 3, so around 2:30 the stands that sell food drop the prices because of the long weekend. So, I got a bag a grapes for a dollar (less than that in American money). We walked around a little of the market, but it is so large that I'd feel like I need a whole day to get a feel for the place.

On the way back to the bus stop we stopped by the Victorian Square and took a ton of photos (coming soon)... it is a very beautiful part of the city! Also, while waiting for the bus I bought some ginger beer. When we first arrived Helen told us that many people attempt to make their own ginger beer, and often it ends up exploding. We first thought it was alcoholic, but found out it wasn't... it tastes like the ginger root and sort of reminds me of cream soda. I probably won't purchase it again.

In the evening we went to Helene's house for dinner... it was so yummy!! (no rice :) ) Then her sons Jeremy and Simon took us to the an English Pub called the Elephant. It is the pub that most uni students go to on the weekends, it reminds me of a very busy bar... but is set up more for socializing. I enjoyed getting the experience of going to a pub, it is very much a part of Australian culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment