Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Self Defense, I can kick butt. :)

Today I walked to Magill and Emily and I left for the domestic violence self defense group. It was quite an experience, I really enjoyed it. There were about 10ish women there and at first we sat in a circle and went around and talked about any opportunities they had to say "no" or stand up for themselves over the past week. It was really neat to hear them share stories, one women was explaining how she texted the words "whatever" to her ex-husband while he was harassing/emotionally and verbally abusing her via text messages. She said she felt rude and like she shouldn't have said it, this was quite a step of progress for her. After each women speaks the group makes it a point to applauded each other and compliment them. It was a really awesome thing to see.

It was however, a bit emotionally draining to see all these women who come from a domestic violence shelter or have used the shelters resources recently. One woman had multiple stab wound scars on her arms from her husband, I can't imagine all the stories. The women had to stand up individually and give themselves an affirmation. I noticed that some women were very hesitant to this exercise, and perhaps didn't believe the things they were saying about themselves. We also practiced "making space" in the way they carried themselves and how they walked. We then learned different self-defense exercises involving poking out the eyes, breaking the nose/possibly killing a person (hopefully not) by hitting the nose upwards with your palm, striking the arteries just under one's jaw to temporarily stop the blood flow, crushing an attacker's windpipe, growing injuries, kicking one's knee with your heel, kicking the shin, and stomping on an attacker's feet. We also learned how to get yourself out of various holds that an attacker might use. It was intense, but we had a lot of fun. It was good to see the women laughing, learning, and having fun. Although, it was a bit depressing when my partner told me that this would have been helpful for her to know a couple months ago.

We took a tea break where we chatted with the women, they are all very sweet. This one women in particular (the one who texted "whatever" to her ex-husband) is very, very sweet and gentle. I really enjoyed getting to know her and hope to see her in the future when I go to the self defense lessons, I will be going every other week.

After the lessons I returned to the Magill office where I did my long 5 day update. Hilary and Ellie were at Blair Athol all day and came back to Magill with Helen when she returned from a day of meetings. Helene then dropped us off at Hosanna Heights.

I went to Felly's house to hang out with her and some of her friends. I got to know her a bit more, and really like her! We chatted via Facebook before I came over and she told me that her dad was a pastor in Malaysia. Felly explained to me that nobody around her cares about their faith, and that she was glad to meet someone else who is a Christian. She also commented that she wants to change some of the ways she is living, what a great opportunity to encourage her! She even invited me to church with her this Saturday morning, but I'm going to be in Renmark so I won't be able to join her. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity next weekend.

After hanging out with her for a while I walked to Helene's house because their family was hosting a game night for a small group from Glynde church. I arrived just in time for pancakes! I don't remember what they call it here, it isn't Fat Tuesday, but there is a tradition where everyone makes pancakes on this day. Simon talked me into trying this pancake that had sugar and lemon juice on it... I wasn't a big fan, but it is how some people eat them here! Everyone left about 30 mins after I arrived (I came late) but Hil, El, Simon, Jeremy and I played table tennis for a while. Jeremy is very competitive, he plays in tournaments, but he doesn't seem like the type of person who would be. It was quite funny seeing him being aggressive. Hil and El wanted to stay later, but I wanted to get back because I had wanted to have some energy to work with the children at the Glynde play group in the morning, so I walked home and they stayed at the Schulz house until 1:30ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment